Chocolate French Madeleines - April, 2019.
What’s not to love about Paris and patisseries?
This is my version of a traditional French Madeleine recipe. Yep, I added chocolate. To bake these – you need a special madeleine pan. Not expensive. If you prefer to use a 9” x 9” baking pan…go ahead. I won’t tell – the resulting bars will be thinner than brownies. Good either way.
C’est si bon!
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup unbleached flour
- ¼ unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons confectioner’s sugar (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a madeleine pan with butter or a 9” square baking pan. Dust with flour and tap out the excess.
- Melt the butter in a small heavy-bottom pan over low heat. When melted, take off heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar until frothy and well blended.
- Measure the flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt and sift all directly into the egg mixture.
- Beat until just combined.
- Beat in the melted butter and vanilla.
- Using a big spoon, drop batter into the madeleine inserts – about two-thirds up the indentation.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until centers are puffed. Put a toothpick in the center and make sure it comes out clean
- Cool the pan for 15 minutes and then gently flip out the inserts to cool on a rack or plate for at least one more hour.
- 12-20 Madeleines depending on number of indentations in pan.
- If you decide to bake this recipe in a pan, use a spatula to get the batter from the bowl into the pan. Make the batter even using the spatula.
- Bake 12-15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for at least one hour
- Sift confectioner’s sugar on top before serving.
- 12-16 bars depending on how big you cut.
Product will stay fresh for 5 days at room temperature. Serve at room temperature.
If desired, refrigerate immediately for 3 weeks or freeze for 3 months.
Classic BUY NOW & Classic Cauldron Special always available.