Orange Walnut Bars - December, 2018.
The holiday season will bring out the best of your baking. You can serve yummy bars like these when folks come over and also give a festive box as a neighborly gift!
This is my basic blondie recipe. I raised the taste bar by adding freshly squeezed orange juice and zest. Citrus and chocolate are a great combination, so consider a ½ cup of semisweet chocolate chips. I usually don’t, but chocolate is always a plus. Switch to pecans instead of walnuts, if you prefer.
Find this recipe on pages 128 & 129 of Fat Witch Cookbook.
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 ¾ cups packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice (1 medium orange)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cups unbleached flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated orange zest
- ½ cup walnuts and additional 12 to 16 for top of bars
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips (optional)
- Grease a 9” square baking pan with butter or vegetable oil.
- Dust with flour and tap out the excess
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt the butter and sugar in a small, heavy-bottomed saucepan over low heat. Stir frequently.
- When smoothly combined, remove the pan from the heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Pour the butter mixture into a medium-sized mixing bowl
- Beat in the eggs until blended.
- Add in the orange juice and vanilla and mix thoroughly
- Measure the flour, baking powder, salt and then sift directly into the butter batter.
- Mix gently until well combined and no trace of dry ingredients remains.
- With a wooden spoon, stir in the orange zest, nuts (walnuts or pecans) and if desired, chocolate chips.
- Spread the batter evenly in the baking pan.
- Put whole walnuts or pecans in 12-16 places on the top of the batter.
- Bake 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the pan comes out clean or with only crumbs.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let cool on a rack for 1 hour. Cut just before serving.
- Makes 12-16 bars
Product will stay fresh for 5 days at room temperature. Serve at room temperature.
If desired, refrigerate immediately for 3 weeks or freeze for 3 months.
Classic BUY NOW & Classic Cauldron Special always available.