Apple Spice Bars - September, 2018.
A is for apple. The fruit, not the software!
I live in Union Square, NYC. My local farmers’ market has an amazing array of just-picked apples.
Whatever apple you can get, make certain you are using a tart variety for this recipe, something like Granny Smith or Braeburn.
I top this bar with a beguilingly sweet Caramel Icing. Both recipes are from my cookbook, Fat Witch Brownies .
Take a bite of delicious!
- 10 tablespoons (1 ¼ sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
- ¾ cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch of ground cloves
- ¾ cup quick-cooking (not instant)oats
- 2 cups tart apples, cored, peeled and cut into same-size small pieces (usually 2 big apples)
- ¾ cup coarsely chopped walnuts (optional))
- Grease a 9” square baking pan with butter or vegetable oil. Dust with flour and tap out the excess.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until smooth.
- Beat in the eggs until well-combined.
- Measure the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.
- Sift together directly into the butter mixture. Mix gently until well combined and no trace of dry ingredients.
- With a wooden spoon, stir in the oats and walnuts, if using.
- Spread the mixture evenly in the prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let cool on a rack for 1 hour. If icing the bar, let cool first for at least 2 hours. Cut just before serving.
- Makes 12-16 bars
Product will stay fresh for 5 days at room temperature. Serve at room temperature.
If desired, refrigerate immediately for 3 weeks or freeze for 3 months.
Classic BUY NOW & Classic Cauldron Special always available.