LEMON BARS- July, 2018.
There is nothing simpler in concept and more magnificent in taste than an old-fashioned lemon bar (except brownies). These are sweet, sassy and a snap to make
The big thing is to use fresh lemons that are soft and fat. Roll them back and forth on the counter before squeezing to release their juices. Perfect for summer treats!
The recipe can be found on pages 32 and 33 of Fat Witch Cookbook.
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- ½ cup confectioners' sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, not at room temperature, cut into even sized pieces
- Lemon Topping
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice (2 to 3 lemons)
- 1 ½ tablespoons fresh, finely grated lemon zest (this means the skin)
- 3 tablespoons unbleached flour
- BIG pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9” square baking pan with butter or vegetable oil.
- Dust with flour and tap out the excess.
- For the crust:
- Sift the flour, confectioner's sugar and salt directly into a medium-sized bowl.
- Add the pieces of butter and mix into the flour, first with a fork and then with your fingertips.
- Pat the mixture evenly into the baking pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden.
- Allow the crust to cool while you make the topping.
- To make the topping
- Beat the eggs until frothy in a medium-sized bowl.
- Slowly add granulated sugar, until combined.
- Beat in the lemon juice, zest and combine well.
- Measure the flour and salt.Sift together directly into the topping mixture.
- Mix gently until the dry ingredients are incorporated into the lemon mixture.
- Pour the topping over the baked crust. Bake 15 minutes or until the top is set.
- It will have tiny bubbles on the surface and the edges should be brown and slightly pulling away from the sides.
- Remove the pan from the oven and cool on a rack for 1 hour. Cut just before serving.
- Refrigerate if not eaten right away. Makes 12-16 pieces
Product will stay fresh for 5 days at room temperature. Serve at room temperature.
If desired, refrigerate immediately for 3 weeks or freeze for 3 months.
Classic BUY NOW (shipping included) & Classic Cauldron Special always available.