Pecan Bars- November, 2018.
Want to present a luscious and yet, traditional Thanksgiving dessert?
These pecan bars are perfect. Much easier than baking a pie and just as impressive. I’ve been known to add a teaspoon of dark rum to the topping.
Find this recipe on pages 36 - 38 of
Fat Witch Brownies
(our first cookbook)
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup packed light brown sugar
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter cut in pieces almost to room temperature
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- ⅓ cup light corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1¾ cups coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon rum (optional)
- Grease a 9” square baking pan with butter or vegetable oil.
- Dust with flour and tap out the excess
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- For the Crust
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt and brown sugar with a fork.
- Add the butter one piece at a time, mixing after each until well blended.
- Stir in the pecans with a wooden spoon and then with your fingers, spread the mix evenly on the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Tap down lightly.
- Bake for 15 minutes until the crust is golden and sides are light brown.
- Remove the pan from the oven and set aside.
- While the crust is in the oven
- Make the Topping
- Melt the butter in a small heavy bottomed saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently.
- When melted set the pan aside to cool.
- Combine the brown sugar, corn syrup, vanilla and salt in a medium sized bowl.
- Stir in the cooled, but still liquid butter and mix until just blended.
- Add the egg and rum (optional) and mix until well combined.
- Pour the topping over the crust and sprinkle the pecans on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the top is brown and small cracks have formed on the surface.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let cool on a rack for 2 hours.
- Cut just before serving. Makes 12 to 16 bars
Product will stay fresh for 5 days at room temperature. Serve at room temperature.
If desired, refrigerate immediately for 3 weeks or freeze for 3 months.
Classic BUY NOW & Classic Cauldron Special always available.