Coconut Bars- March 2019.
Did I ever tell you that some of my cousins live on St. Thomas? The island in the Caribbean?
I’ve spent many a spring break sitting on a gorgeous beach, enjoying fresh coconut. It’s my inspiration for this recipe. Bake this when you feel the need for tropical breezes and dedicated coconut taste
A rum drink will pair well with this hands-on treat.
Find this recipe on pages 48 - 50 of
Fat Witch Brownies
(our first cookbook)
- 10 tablespoons (1¼ sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1¼ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons light brown sugar (packed)
- 1 cup light brown sugar packed
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 2 cups shredded sweetened coconut
- Grease a 9” square baking pan with butter or vegetable oil.
- Dust with flour and tap out the excess
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- For the Crust
- Mix the butter, flour and brown sugar in a large bowl.
- Mix with a wooden spoon and then with your hands to finish the kneading process.
- Spread the dough with your hands in the prepared baking pan.
- Make it even with your fingers.
- Bake 10 minutes or until the crust is a light golden color.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Make the Topping
- Beat both sugars, eggs and vanilla in a large bowl until well combined.
- Add the milk and mix well.
- Measure the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and sift together over the topping batter.
- Mix until well combined. Add the coconut and mix with your hands.
- Spread the topping evenly over the crust with your hands.
- Bake 30 minutes or until the top is a light golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool for at least one hour.
- Makes 12-16 bars depending on how big you cut the squares.
Product will stay fresh for 5 days at room temperature. Serve at room temperature.
If desired, refrigerate immediately for 3 weeks or freeze for 3 months.
Classic BUY NOW & Classic Cauldron Special always available.