Lemon Bars - July, 2022.
I think lemon is one of the greatest tastes put on the planet. Well, after chocolate, of course, but these Lemon Bars need no boost from the cacao bean. However, I often serve pieces of chocolate next to these bars.
Baking hint: buy big ripe/soft lemons! Roll them back and forth on the counter to make them juicier.
This recipe is a two-step process, but worth it!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (plus some to dust the baking pan)
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter cut into even pieces almost at room temperature (plus a little extra for greasing the baking pan)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2-3 lemons)
- 1 ½ tablespoons freshly grated lemon zest (1-2 lemons)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Big pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease 9" square baking pan with butter.
- Dust with flour and tap out the excess
- For the crust, sift the flour, confectioners’ sugar and salt directly into a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Add the butter pieces and mix into the flour, first with a fork and then with your fingers, if needed.
- Pat the crust dough evenly into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake 15 minutes or until golden. Let the crust cool while you make the topping.
- To make the topping, beat the eggs in another mixing bowl until frothy. Add the sugar and mix well.
- Beat in the lemon juice and zest. Combine well.
- Measure the flour and salt. Sift together directly into the topping mixture.
- Mix gently until incorporated into the lemon mixture.
- Pour the topping over the baked crustt
- Bake 15 minutes or until the topping is set with tiny bubbles on the surface.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let cool at least for one hour.
- Cut just before serving. Refrigerate any left-overs. 12-16 pieces
Opt-in to the Fat Witch Newsletter for monthly discount codes, free offers and more
Product will stay fresh for 7-10 days at room temperature. Serve at room temperature.
If desired, refrigerate immediately for 3 weeks or freeze for 3 months.
Classic BUY NOW & Classic Cauldron Special always available.