Fruitcake Brownies- December, 2017.
Your grandmother’s traditional fruitcake often goes unappreciated. How about YOU baking a riff on her recipe? l promise, only crumbs will remain.
As a baker with West Indian heritage, I go to rum as the soaking liquor, but feel free to use brandy (the traditional) or whiskey if you prefer. You will need 24 hours of prep time – but easy work!
Find this recipe on pages 122 & 123 of Fat Witch Bake Sale.
- 2 cups coarsely chopped dried fruit, such as apricots, cherries, cranberries, raisins, pineapples, prunes
- 1 cup dark rum (or brandy or whiskey)
- 10 tablespoons (1 ¼ sticks) unsalted butter
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped into small, even-sized pieces
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- At least 24 hours before baking the brownies, combine the fruit and rum in a large bowl. Make certain there is more than 2” of space above the rum/fruit. This allows the alcohol to evaporate and prevent the fruit from becoming soggy. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set aside in a cool, dry place.
- Just before you are ready to make the brownies, drain the fruit/rum in a colander for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9” square baking pan with butter or cooking spray.
- Dust with flour and tap out the excess
- In a small heavy bottomed pan, warm the butter and chocolate over low heat, stirring frequently until almost melted.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir the mixture until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large mixing bowl, with an electric mixer, beat the eggs and sugar until creamy.
- Beat in the vanilla and then the chocolate mixture until well combined.
- Measure the flour and salt and mix until no trace of the dry ingredients remains.
- With a wooden spoon, stir in the dried fruit soaked in rum.
- Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with only crumbs.
- Remove the pan from the oven and cool for at least 1 hour.
- Cover the pan with plastic and cut just before serving.
- It will keep 3-5 days.
- Makes 12-16 pieces.
Product will stay fresh for 5 days at room temperature. Serve at room temperature.
If desired, refrigerate immediately for 3 weeks or freeze for 3 months.