LEMON GRAPEFRUIT BARS- July, 2017.
Grapefruit has been overlooked as a tart baking ingredient for too long. I experimented for years and finally figured out that combining it with lemon creates a perfect balance. This is one of my go-to recipes during the summer when friends are visiting NYC. I invite them for dinner to my tiny apartment (out of town folks are always shocked at how ‘small’ we live).
I bake it the night before and refrigerate. I usually add pomegranate seeds, but, then again, I can get them already separated from the rind in NYC. No judgement if you don’t want to take the time to cut and pluck out the seeds. I use them more for presentation than taste.
The recipe can be found on pages 124 and 125 of Fat Witch Bake Sale.
- 1 cup all-purpose unbleached flour
- ½ cup onfectioners’ sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (3 to 4 lemons)
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed grapefruit juice (½ grapefruit)
- 1 ½ tablespoons fresh, finely grated lemon and grapefruit peel
- 3 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- Big pinch of salt
- ½ cup fresh pomegranate seeds (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9” square baking pan with butter or cooking spray.
- Line the bottom with parchment paper
- To make the crust:
- Sift the flour, sugar and salt directly into a large mixing bowl.
- Using a big fork or clean fingers, work the butter into the flour mixture until well combined.
- Pat the mixture evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until slightly golden brown.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let cool. Leave the oven on.
- To make the filling
- Crack the eggs into a medium mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until frothy.
- Slowly add the sugar and beat until combined.
- Beat in the lemon and grapefruit juices and then the peels.
- Measure the flour and salt and then sift directly into the juice mixture.
- Stir gently with a wooden spoon until incorporated.
- Pour the mixture over the baked crust and if desired, sprinkle the pomegranate seeds on top.
- Bake for 18 to 22 minutes or until the filling is set. There should be tiny bubbles on the surface the crust edges will be slightly brown.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let cool for at least 1 hour.
- Refrigerate until serving. Makes 12-16 pieces
Product will stay fresh for 5 days at room temperature. Serve at room temperature.
If desired, refrigerate immediately for 3 weeks or freeze for 3 months.